Most Active Stories
Mon July 2, 2012
Ten resources for low income families in Michigan
Update July 10, 11:58 a.m.
Paula Wethington of Monroe on a Budget sent us, via the Public Insight Network, a few resources her readership has found most useful. Her blog has been providing articles,tips, and resources for families trying to stay financially afloat for more than 5 years.
- For readers in Detroit and surrounding areas Wethington recommends Julie's List. Run by a social worker, it's a massive database of community resources.
- On the west side of the state she points to Thrifty in the Mitten a blog to help make use of resources available.
Here is the original list of statewide resources available for low-income families. We will continue to add resources as we learn about them.
- United Way’s 2-1-1 hotline will connect families in Michigan to local resources and support.
- Starfish Family Services is a private, nonprofit agency serving vulnerable children and families in metropolitan Detroit. Starfish provides Head Start and early Head Start programs, early childhood development and parenting programs, children’s mental health services, after school programs, and an emergency shelter for teens and youth in crisis.
- Feeding America will help families locate local, community food-banks.
- The Michigan Alliance for Families provides information, support, and education to families of children and young adults with disabilities from birth to age 26.
- Michigan’s Department of Human Services can provide energy costs assistance to low income households.
- The Michigan Department of Community Health can provide assistance in finding low cost or free health care.
- Michigan Legal Aid provides legal assistance to low-income residents in Michigan.
- The Michigan Department of Community Health provides information about the health care options available for pregnant women, children, and families.
- The Boys and Girls Club provides programs for children that focus on education, leadership, health, arts, and sports.
- The Michigan Immigrant Rights Center works to create a more positive and inclusive environment for immigrants in Michigan. Their work includes includes immigrant rights advocacy and immigration support and coordination.