Most Active Stories
- Muskegon Heights schools were in trouble. Then the district made history. Twice.
- Why even the biggest charter school supporters don't love Michigan's charter school laws
- Teaching students how to switch between Black English and Standard English can help them get ahead
- Detroit kids go to camp to do things they can't do in the city
- How does Michigan stack up when it comes to child well-being? Are you sure you want to know?
Sun October 20, 2013
The Education Gap [listening guide]
Gather round the radio, iPod, or what have you and listen in as Jennifer Guerra takes us into fifth grade in two school districts with very different stories and very different outcomes for kids. Share any of your answers with us, we'd love to know your take.
- Why do you think school X doesn't want to be named in the documentary? Do you think the school being named would impact it's ability to attract students?
- What percentage of time does the principal of school X say she spends on education vs. discipline?
- Do you think the answer to more educational equity is in the school, in the home, or in the community? Did anything you heard challenge what you thought?
- How would you like to see education dollars in the state spent between districts?
- What were some of things that most impressed you about school X? What impressed you about Novi Meadows?
- Who did you think were the most powerful characters, and what did you learn from them?