Most Active Stories
- A tiny town in Ohio tried paying kids to do better on state tests. Guess what happened.
- 'A clean, well-lighted place' for Detroit kids to go after school
- One school's fight against 'nature deficit disorder'
- Five facts about achieving the American Dream
- Five things to know about early childhood brain development
Wed July 24, 2013
What's wrong with boys: A story in 5 charts
Tomorrow at 3p.m. and 10p.m., the State of Opportunity team presents our latest radio documentary. We're calling it "Be A Man: A Story in Six Chapters."
But first, we wanted to offer some data on why we decided to put the focus on males. In a world of gender inequality, it sure seems like females still face the most obstacles. One big reason to put the focus on males is that when males go off track, they're much more likely to end up committing crimes, especially violent crimes. And women are often the victims.
So, to get us ready for tomorrow's documentary, here are five charts that describe what's wrong with boys in Michigan: