Most Active Stories
- Muskegon Heights schools were in trouble. Then the district made history. Twice.
- Teaching students how to switch between Black English and Standard English can help them get ahead
- Why even the biggest charter school supporters don't love Michigan's charter school laws
- Detroit kids go to camp to do things they can't do in the city
- How does Michigan stack up when it comes to child well-being? Are you sure you want to know?
Fri September 6, 2013
In the Story Booth: why don't guys like ZUMBA?
The Corner Health Center in Ypsilanti is a place adolescents and the children of adolescents can get affordable, high quality health care. Staff and patients at the Corner are featured in this story about why more Medicaid-eligible teenagers in the state aren't getting signed up.
We also took State of Opportunity's story booth to the clinic this summer to talk to teenagers involved in a summer fitness program called "Turn the Corner."
The stories are full of honesty, humor and a fair amount of well-deserved teenage skepticism. Listen in to Josh Cornett, Desiree Trim, and Reyannah Nelson Chambers share stories about body image, guys who like ZUMBA, and society needing to give teens the benefit of the doubt.
This audio postcard was produced by Gabrielle Emanuel.