Most Active Stories
- Five months after students take MEAP, rest of Michigan learns what many teachers knew all along
- A fox a bear and an antelope tell you all you need to know about empathy
- What is the State of Opportunity project?
- Five things to know about early childhood brain development
- Five facts about achieving the American Dream
Mon October 21, 2013
Sometimes a free education just isn't enough
This week Jennifer Guerra will take us along as she spends time in fifth grade in two metro Detroit school districts.
The districts have very different economic profiles. One is filled with predominantly middle class families, and one is filled with families living in poverty.
Are kids in both these districts getting a high quality education?
The demographics of the school districts match the outcomes. One has fairly high student achievement; the other is among the states more poorly performing schools. But the schools are separated by many fewer state dollars than might seem possible.
Thursday at 3:00 you'll be able to hear the entire hour, and tomorrow you'll be able to hear the first "chapter."